Confirmation 2023 Thursday 31 August or Friday 1 September
Bookings for 2023 Confirmations have now closed.
For 2024 enquiries please email Berny at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the parish office on 8862 4020 and leave the following information: Child's name and Year Level, school attending, Parents Name, email and mobile number. Candidates need to be in year 6 or above
Children currently attending St Joseph’s school do NOT need to register
Please note the information on this page relates to candidates who are children. Adult candidates for the sacraments please contact the Parish Pastoral Manager.
You have asked that your child receive the Sacrament of Confirmation this year, and it is important that you feel very much part of the preparation program so that you can share in this special time with your child.
Important Dates (further details will be provided closer to the date)
Classes 4pm to 5.15pm in the Parish Centre on Monday 14 & 21 August
Family Night on Wednesday 16 August at 7pm
Presentation Mass Sunday 20 August
Retreat Day on Friday 25 August
Rehearsal on Monday 28 August
Sacrament of Confirmation Thursday 31 August or Friday 1 September (two separate groups)
Children should start to consider their confirmation name in preparation for this sacrament. This should be a saint’s name.
The role of the sponsor is to spiritually walk with the candidate during the preparation for the sacrament. They will assist the young person in being a true witness and disciple of Jesus and represent the community when they present the candidate to the bishop. A sponsor will continue to help the young person fulfil his or her baptismal promises after Confirmation with the help of the Holy Spirit.
Please refer below for information from the Archdiocese of Melbourne regarding saints names and sponsors.
If not previously given, a copy of your child’s Baptismal Certificate will need to be sighted by myself (and a copy taken) before classes commence. N.B. I won’t need a baptismal certificate if your child was baptised at the Hawthorn Parish but please indicate this on the form.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us
The Hawthorn Parish promotes the safety and well-being of children.
Our policies and procedures can be found on our website Child Safety page
Parish Pastoral Manager
Information from the Archdiocese of Melbourne regarding Confirmation
Selecting a Saint’s name:
· Only saints’ names are to be chosen. Alternatively, students may choose their own first name as their confirmation name.
· Ideally, students research and select a saint who inspires them and are able to answer questions about this Saint.
· Normally, students choose a saint of the same sex as themselves.
· One sponsor only
· Only a confirmed Catholic of at least 16 years of age can act as a sponsor. Normally and ideally, the sponsor should be a practicing Catholic.
· The sponsor should not be a parent of the candidate
· The link between confirmation and the sacrament of Baptism is strengthened if one of the child’s Godparents is the sponsor but this is not a requirement.
· At the celebration of Confirmation, the Sponsor sits with candidate, walks behind the candidate to the Bishop during the Anointing with Chrism and, as the candidate kneels, places his/her right hand on the right shoulder of the candidate.
· At Communion time, the sponsor and candidate proceed together to receive Communion. It is expected that the sponsor will receive Communion.